Congratulations on the birth of your Child!
We are blessed that you would like to baptize your child. This initiation into the Family God and the Communion of the Holy Catholic Church is a wonderful process.
Baptism is the gateway to the sacraments and necessary for salvation. Through baptism men and women are freed from sin, are reborn as children of God, and, configured to Christ by an indelible character, are incorporated into the Church.
If this is your first child, or if five years (or more) have passed between your last child and your baby, you are expected to attended a pre-Baptism class prior to the baptismal date. Godparents are important roles to fill. Please, do not choose Godparents until you have completed the Baptism formation class. You may call the Parish Office at (203) 748-9029 to schedule the pre-Baptism class.
The role of a Godparent or Christian Witness is a role of support in the Catholic faith journey of the person receiving the sacrament of Baptism. It is a commitment to help the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.
When selecting a Godparent, the following criteria must be met:
- There is to be only one male Godparent or one female Godparent, or one of each.
- May not be the father or mother of the child being baptized.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- At least one Godparent must be Catholic and the other, if not Catholic, may be a Christian Witness.
- Catholic Godparents must be validly baptized in the eyes of the Catholic Church and have received the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- Catholic Godparents must be in good standing with their Parish of registration and if married, must be validly married in the eyes of the Church.
Catholic Godparents are required to submit a sponsor certificate to Sacred Heart no later than one week prior to the Baptism.
If you are a registered parishioner and have been asked to serve as a Godparent, please contact the Parish Office to request a sponsor certificate.
Parents, please download and fill out the Infant Baptism Request.
Godparents, the form you need to complete is available here.