Congratulations on the birth of your Child!
Sacred Heart Parish is blessed to celebrate your child's baptism with you. This initiation into the Family of God and the Communion of the Holy Catholic Church is a wonderful process.
If this is your first child, or if five years (or more) have passed between your last child and your baby, you are expected to attended a pre-Baptism class prior to the baptismal date. Our Baptism formation classes meet on the first Sunday of the month at 2:00 PM. You may call the Parish Office at (203) 748-9029 to schedule the pre-Baptism class. Godparents are important roles to fill. Please read more about Godparents below, and bring completed Sponsor Certificates to your class for review and discussion. Contact the Parish Office if you have questions.
The role of a Godparent or Christian Witness is a role of support in the Catholic faith journey of the person receiving the sacrament of Baptism. It is a commitment to help the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it. You may read more about Godparents and their role HERE.
- There is to be only one male Godparent or one female Godparent, or one of each.
- May not be the father or mother of the child being baptized.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- At least one Godparent must be Catholic and the other, if not Catholic, may be a Christian Witness.
- Catholic Godparents must be validly baptized in the eyes of the Catholic Church and have received the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Confirmation in the Catholic Church.
- Catholic Godparents must be in good standing with their Parish of registration and if married, must be validly married in the eyes of the Church.
Please have your godparents forward their sponsor certificates to Sacred Heart before your preparation class.
If you are a registered parishioner and have been asked to serve as a Godparent, please contact the Parish Office to request a sponsor certificate.